This tutorial covers the YCH Cuties series of files I’ve released.
You can download them shortly, watch this space! Make sure you follow at one of the social media pages below to find out when it becomes available!
3… 2… 1… GO
Hi! I’m Zhivago and I’m going to show you how to navigate and recolor one of my YCH templates.
Check out my YouTube channel for this tutorial and more in video form: Zhivago on YouTube
If you enjoy the file, you can get new ones delivered directly to you regularly by subscribing on Patreon!
This tutorial will cover the Cuties YCH series files.
Variations include: Canines, Felines & Critters
First thing you need is the appropriate software.
These files are made to use in Adobe Photoshop CC.
There is a 30 day free trial or you can subscribe to it for as little as $10/mo. These instructions are made for photoshop so I highly recommend you CHECK IT OUT.
NOTE: If you don’t have Adobe Photoshop, that’s okay, but I don’t know how to edit these files in anything else so you’ll need to reference tutorials for your particular software and figure out how to use these files via trial by fire.
REGULAR VS DELUXE
I offer two types of files. It says in the file name which type you have.
The default option is the Regular file. This is a smaller file with less options and it is for personal use only.
The Deluxe file has more options, more use rights and includes markings. Patreon subscribers receive these files as part of their pledge and they are released to the public for purchase after 90 days.
REGULAR FILE INCLUDES
DELUXE FILE INCLUDES
Unzip your file in a safe location.
Save yourself a backup so you don’t overwrite the original.
HIDE THE DISTRIBUTION STATEMENT
This layer gives you information about the file and what you’re allowed to do with it.
Click the Eye icon to hide it and get started.
HOW TO EDIT THE COLORS
Deluxe Files have a variety of preset markings ready for you to edit with one click. This makes editing quick and easy. Deluxe files also include a Color Map to see all marking options.
Regular files do not have these layers and require manual coloring.
- Browse the list of layer folders.
- BASE COLOR at the bottom of the list is a good place to start.
- Either review the color map to locate your desired marking or try various styles by turning layers on and off using the eye icon.
- Double click any COLORED SQUARE to edit the color.
- Play with the Layer Options in order to get the desired effect. Be aware that some Layer Options may be transparent and may need alteration to look right.
Regular files do not include the additional color layers. They can be colored by hand.
- Open the Colors Layer
- Double click the white square labeled BASE COLOR to set a main color, if desired
- Paint over directly on the layer above BASE COLOR.
- Add layers here as desired.
WANT TO EDIT THE LINEART?
INSTALL THE BRUSH FILE
- Open the Brush Presets Panel
- Top Menu > Window > Brush Presets
- Navigate to the location you unzipped the files to.
- Select the ABR file included with the kit
For this file it is ‘YCH-CUTIES.ABR’
- The brush will be added to the end of your list of brushes.
- You may now draw additions over the base.